Tuesday, February 25, 2014

All Quiet on the Western Front- 02/26

To view characters from the book and their descriptions, click here.


Character Description: 


Corporal Himmelstoss 

I am Himmelstoss. Before the war, I was a post man. I loved my job but was enthusiastic for a new profession. Now I am Corporal Himmelstoss. I have power over these youngsters that have enlisted. I'm ready to get them in tip-top shape and prepared for battle. Kids these days don't know what it is to have respect, and I am ready to teach them that. They will learn to follow orders in a timely matter. If they try any funny business, they will be punished, just like Tjaden was for wetting the bed. 

Now looking back at the war, I wish I had been more sympathetic. I am glad I helped carry Haie to a triage center when he was wounded. One of my better moments was doing this and offering soldiers extra food and delicacies when I was a cook. I wish I would have realized this earlier because I would have gained more respect this way than by pushing my power on others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment